Saturday, October 15, 2011

What a Day Yesterday Was

My appointment with Dr. Peltier did not go as planned yesterday.  

I couldn't see to get myself up and going yesterday morning.  I had intended to get my shower early so I would have time to rest a little before heading out.  That didn't happen.  I ended up putting us about an hour behind.  Traffic was horrible the entire way there.  It was insane.  Every time I would freak out because I was sure we were going to crash, Nathan would say, "I told you we should have left an hour ago."

We did get there safely, and I signed in at 1:03 p.m.  Not bad.  My appointment was at 1:00 p.m.

Or so I thought.

I signed in and took my seat.  There were only 2 other people filling out paperwork in the waiting room, and I thought that was sort of odd.  It was right after lunch, so I just reasoned they hadn't had time to get behind yet.  Within moments the lady at the check-in desk called me over.

"Umm ... Robin, who are you here to see today?"

"Dr. Peltier"

"Well, she's not here today.  She doesn't work in the clinic on Fridays."

"Seriously?!?!  My card says 1:00 p.m. Friday, October 14."

I just stared at her for a moment.  I wanted to cry.

"I don't understand.", I finally said.

"Are you in pain?"

It must have been the horrified look on my face that caused her to ask me that ... or maybe it was the tears welling up in my eyes.

"I'm always in pain."

"I'm sure.  From what I understand CIDP can be very painful."

I just kept staring at her.  I was afraid to really say anything because I didn't want to be ugly to her.  After all, it wasn't her fault.

"From what I am reading on the computer it looks like I need to get you put on the a.s.a.p. list.  Let me put you down for them to work you in at the first available spot.  And if they ever try to give you an appointment for any other day than Thursday, they are giving you the wrong appointment.  She only works in the clinic on Thursdays."

I just kept standing there staring at her.

"So I guess I'll see you in 6 months.  This was supposed to have been my 6 month check-up from my last appointment.  I scheduled it the day I was last here and it took over a year for the first available appointment.  I know it's not your fault, but I seriously want to cry."


"I am so sorry.  I am making a note for the scheduling department to call you just as soon as they can work you in.  Maybe even next week."

She's overly optimistic in my opinion.


I love Dr. Peltier and it would devastate me to have to see another neurologist.  I've had to deal with other neurologist when I've been in the hospital at Vanderbilt and St. Thomas, and it not been a great experience.  I hate dealing with her office though.  The people are super sweet, but it's so frustrating that every little thing has to go through another department.  There is usually someone sitting just around the corner who works for the scheduling department that schedules your next appointment as you are checking out.

I kept thinking, "Why could she just not take care of it then?  Why does she have to make a note in the computer and wait for them to call me?"

Oh yeah, Dr. Peltier DOESN'T WORK ON FRIDAYS!!!

I turned around to give Nathan the happy news, and we left.  The valet had not even had time to park our van yet.


I fussed all the way down the road.  I fussed non-stop.  I panicked over traffic.  After about half an hour later I looked at Nathan and asked him where were we going.  It finally occurred to me we had passed the interstate.


"I am going to get you something to eat."


Every knows that when I get hungry and my blood sugar drops, I turn into a monster.  Just ask my brother-in-law.  We were on a family vacation about 13 years ago and we drove way past lunch time.  My behavior was not pretty.  Finally Matt said, "If you will feed her she will be fine."  It was just funny how he said it.


I was so upset over the mix-up with my appointment and I was getting hungry.  Not a pleasant situation.  So Nathan took me to The Cheesecake Factory to make me feel better ... I love that place.

And just give you an example of how bad traffic was ... The Cheesecake Factory is about 10 minutes from Vanderbilt.


I had planned to try and take advantage of the day and do a little shopping.  I was even prepared to use my walker.  I was just so frustrated, and after stopping at Ross, I was ready to go home.


I did score a few fabulous finds though.  I regret putting back a sweater and a couple of shirts I found.


So, now I wait for a phone call, and I pray I can find a ride when the time comes.  Transportation isn't always so easy.  Nathan could take the day off, but we try so hard to save his days as much as possible because we never know when he might need to use them in an emergency situation.  We've had plenty of those over the past 3 1/2 years.

At least I do have an appointment with Dr. Gaw on Monday afternoon.  At least I think I do.  I have 2 cards that say I do.

And to add to the confusion of the appointment mix up ... when Sara got home from the ballgame at midnight last night she asked how things went.  After I told her all about the ordeal she said, "I wondered why you had your appointment written on your calendar for Thursday, but you were going on Friday."

What??  She picked my calendar up off the table and showed me.  Sure enough, in black ink it said "Dr. Peltier 1:00 p.m." written on Thursday, October 13.  My card says Friday, October 14.  I have no idea why I wrote it on Thursday.  I asked Sara why she didn't point it out to me.  Any other time she would have.

"I just thought you were having another one of your moments where you get confused and don't know what you are doing."  She just kept laughing and shaking her head.


At that point I had to laugh to.


Maybe it was one of those times the Lord was trying to show me something I didn't pay attention to.  After all, I look at that calendar every day and I never noticed I had done that.


I am praying they call me Monday with an appointment very soon, and that I am able to work out transportation easily.


Life is so complicated.  It makes me long for Heaven even more.  Maybe Jesus will come back today.


Yes, I still pray for Him to come every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment