Friday, September 16, 2011

My Favorite Devotionals

This week for "Show Us Your Life" at Kelly's Korner we are sharing our favorite devotional and/or bible studies.  

I have a few devotionals that I love.  Right now I'm reading Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.
 I love this!  Every day seems like it was written just for me.  It's exactly what I need to hear.  I pretty sure that has more to do with the Holy Spirit and how He allows my heart to take in what I'm reading.  This devotional is beautifully written.

A couple of years ago Connie bought me Dear Jesus for my birthday.  Sarah Young wrote this one too.  I love it also!
She actually went to buy me Jesus Calling and they didn't have any in stock, so she bought me this one.  It was just what I needed.

I keep both of those devotionals sitting on my coffee table.

I also love the devotions written by Joni Eareckson TadaI own several of her devotional books, but several years ago I signed up to have a daily devotional written by her emailed to me every day.  You can sign up hereI had been getting them for almost 2 years before I got sick.  Reading something written by someone who truly "gets it" ... understands even more than I what it's like to be sick ... speaks so loudly to my heart.  There have been many days when Mary, Connie or I have emailed each other with the subject line saying, "Just in case you missed this".

It's no secret I love bible studies, but I've learned I have to be very cautious when choosing one.  Sometimes the theology can seriously be messed up.  The bible study group I've been a part of for over a year now just finished up studying the book of Philippians.  The lady who leads the group wrote up the questions herself.  It took us months to finish Philippians and I loved every minute of it.  I missed the last two weeks due to being sick and I'm so sad about that.

We've also done Idols of the Heart by Elise Fitzpatrick.
I didn't get to finish the study with the group because I got really sick in the middle of it, but I did finish the book.  It made me realize I have idols I didn't even realize where idols.

We've also done A 30-day Walk With God in the Psalms by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

I learned so much when we did this study.


So what are your favorite devotionals or bible studies?

No comments:

Post a Comment