Monday, September 3, 2012

Yes, He Really Is All I Need


I've been doing a little project.  I had someone ask me how I could possibly say, "He is all I need".  It got me to thinking.  Do I really believe that, or is it just something I say because it's what every good Christian would say?

I have idols.  There are things I often put ahead of God.  In my weak moments I don't always run to Him first.  I look for comfort in other places and in other people.  I have a tendency to run to a friend before running to the Lord.  I am emotional eater.  I run to the fridge before running to Him.

I have idols that I don't even realize are idols.  It seems like every day the Lord is putting a spotlight on a different one in my life.  Today my idol is to be pain free.  The weather has my peripheral nerves going haywire.  I'd rather not be in pain, than to have to keep running to Him asking Him for the grace to endure it.

My idols always fail me though.  They never give me what I need.  My fridge gives me added pounds that weigh me down.  It never lifts me up or soothes my soul.  Maybe for the moment it seems that way, but once the chocolate cake has been swallowed I'm only left with heartburn.  Sure, that first swig of Sonic coke is great, but by the last sip leaves with my stomach burning.  I've said it many times, and I'll say it a thousand more, I have the greatest friends.  But what makes them so great is not anything of themselves.  What makes them great is Who lives inside of them.  The One they point me to when I come running to them.

Yes, He really is all I need.  I really do believe that.  My actions don't always show that, but my heart knows it.

So, I set out to make a list of all the things He is for me with scripture to back it up.  A list that not only I could show my friend, but one that I could pull out in those times I doubt and run to my idols.

He led me to this list ...

NAMES OF GOD--Father, Son, Holy Spirit
  • RABBONI (TEACHER)........................John 20:16
  • RADIANCE OF GOD'S GLORY..................Heb.1:3
  • REDEEMER.................................Job 19:25
  • REFINER'S FIRE...........................Malachi 3:2
  • REFUGE...................................Jeremiah 16:19
  • RESURRECTION.............................John 11:25
  • REWARDER.................................Hebrews 11:6
  • RIGHTEOUS ONE............................1 John 2:1
  • ROCK.....................................1 Cor.10:4
  • ROOT OF DAVID............................Rev. 22:16
  • ROSE OF SHARON...........................Song 2:1
  • RULER OF GOD'S CREATION..................Rev. 3:14
  • RULER OVER KINGS OF EARTH................Rev 1:5
  • RULER OVER ISRAEL........................Micah 5:2
  • VINE......................................John 15:5

OLD TESTAMENT NAMES FOR GOD
ELOHIM......Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1
meaning "God", a reference to God's power and might.
ADONAI......Malachi 1:6
meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God.
JEHOVAH--YAHWEH.....Genesis 2:4
a reference to God's divine salvation.
JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM.......Exodus 31:13
meaning "The Lord thy sanctifier"
JEHOVAH-ROHI......Psalm 23:1
meaning "The Lord my shepherd"
JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH.......Ezekiel 48:35
meaning "The Lord who is present"
JEHOVAH-RAPHA.........Exodus 15:26
meaning "The Lord our healer"
JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU......Jeremiah 23:6
meaning "The Lord our righteousness"
JEHOVAH-JIREH.........Genesis 22:13-14
meaning "The Lord will provide"
JEHOVAH-NISSI.........Exodus 17:15
meaning "The Lord our banner"
JEHOVAH-SHALOM........Judges 6:24
meaning "The Lord is peace"
JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH......Isaiah 6:1-3
meaning "The Lord of Hosts"
JEHOVAH-GMOLAH........Jeremiah 51:6
meaning "The God of Recompense"
EL-ELYON..............Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14
meaning "The most high God
EL-ROI................Genesis 16:13
meaning "The strong one who sees"
EL-SHADDAI............Genesis 17:1,Psalm 91:1
meaning "The God of the mountains or God Almighty"
EL-OLAM...............Isaiah 40:28-31
meaning "The everlasting God"

How could I possibly need anything else?

Lord, thank you for being my All and All.

No comments:

Post a Comment